The march of the Valentine songs.
It's too late for Valentines Day now, is it?
This entry's been stocked in my Edit Posts folder for two weeks, yet I can't resist posting so, considering that as much as I dislike Valentines Day, I do love these songs that make every day feel like Valentines Day.
--
Feb. 14, 2010
9:45 PM
I have been robbed off my sleep because of many of these songs. It's a nice kind of pain, though, when you can't sleep because of a beautiful song that somehow binds you to your inner emotions (as psychedelic as that may sound), but these songs do sort of, connect me with the subconcious, sentimental corner of the world.
I love it.
So Far Away by Carole King
My dad and I sang this song together while driving on the way back home from SM, the last time I had to spend with him before he would leave for Singapore tomorrow, which gives another reason why I love this song.
I often imagine before sleeping the idea of singing this to somebody truly meant for me to give this song to. I can imagine, if I could, to give this song to James Jean, and many times I have dreamed of doing so. It doesn't seem impossible, after all--if I had someone to sing it to, I'd do so for JJ. It seems like the perfect song for him.
I could be wrong, though. I see no mistake in thinking about doing so, because if I did it would just express the truth, and the truth only conveys love after all.
Yeah, but I can only dream.
Three Times A Lady by The Commodores
I first heard this song in "The Pothole" episode of Seinfeld, when Newman was in that truck full of fresh fish and was suddenly caught on fire by means of sewing-machine-friction-to-the-paint-thinner-stained-pavement, and I out of curiousity searched for it.
Surprisingly, I loved it. Lyric-wise, I was impressed, and the song in itself fantastically did magic to my heart. Not to mention Lionel Richie did a fantastic job, even with that mad afro and old school threads. The perfect formula in quest for what I dare not boldly go after where no man hath gone before.
...or not really.
Loving You by Minnie Riperton
My younger brother loves The Simpsons, and often times I catch myself watching episodes of America's favorite yellow-bellied family with him.
This particular Minnie Riperton song has been played in quite a lot of episodes of the show, such as "Mypods and Broomsticks," and one other episode wherein Marge sings a parody of this song whilst scrubbing dishes.
Scrubbing you
Is easy 'cause you're pre-rinsed
And you're covered in goo
That's why I'm scrubbing you
Scrub-ub-ub-ub-bub,
Scrub-ub-ub-ub-bub,
Scrub-ub-buh-bub-buuhh-bub-bub-bub-bub-bub-bub...
...yeah, that catches on.
There's an obvious obsession with the song in here somewhere, I can tell. I can visualize Matt Groening being so awestruck and cooped up in a little room being in his own world with this song, which is quite funny if you imagine that. A fat, old guy with greying hair, stern paunch, and comical glasses sighing dreamily to such a song.
But I suppose it's not too much of a laughing matter, considering that I have the same odd love affair, only with Desperado.
And let us not forget the classic favorites that have marked influence onto this life that I have.
Close To You by The Carpenters
It's quite obvious how much this song has played a part in my life, as mentioned in an earlier blog entry.
And if you have the patience or the guts to read the posts following so, you'll find out too just how much this song has done for me. There's some enchanting quality to Karen Carpenter's voice, almost a spell rendering the same gentleness and kindness a lullaby would.
It was kind of the catalyst that ignited this unbearable love for James Jean in those days. He was coming to town of course, and so everyday I would visit his website, look up interviews of his on the internet, hear what others had to say about him, generally stocking up my head with James Jean know-how.
I guess it was the frequent thinking about James Jean and having this song stuck in my head all the time that made me believe not in merely respect and admiration for this absolute art hero, but also in love and deep adoration in multiple ways none of you may understand. Possibly.
Ah yes.
Everyone's favorite Barry Manilow song.
Everyone who has watched Hellboy: The Golden Army, that is.
Probably the pioneer of this dreadfully short list of absolutely awesome songs. Songs like these are what make me happy. feeling the funny urge to dance or flail my arms and clap and spank and feel free.
Once it became an impromptu routine when I was listening to this song and then my brother heard it too and we started clapping and dancing and jumping and then dad came down and saw us jiving to the song, and did the same. Fun times, fun times.
And of course.
Self-explanatory.
Not really a Valentines day song, no. It sounds more of a song that makes a human whole or a person whose guts have been vacuumed can reach out for and become as jolly as a fat little Swedish boy.
...well, not really, but the rush of a good song always brings the same stretch of emotion.
The song that is as close and as dear to me as the sun is to the horizon.
The personification of that suits it too, I suppose. The horizon that has no distance at all, no visible presence that anyone may hold, and it stretches so far away looking for something it just can't seem to find. Yet the sun comes 'round, shedding light onto the world which this horizon is still very new to.
It's a complex analogy even I have yet to understand. But this song really is the world to me. Everything seems so big and so dark and dangerous yet this song draws that fear out of me and incinerates it. It makes the world feel sizable again.
It's a feeling no other song has or will ever be able to possess.
--
"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others."
--Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn is absolutely extraordinary.
There is a humility and a grace about her that is extremely difficult for anyone to grasp, for anyone to hold. And in this elegance, her persona couples with intelligence and inspiration. There is a charm about her that is so rare yet so vital to us who still have yet to live.
It was an excellent idea for Audrey to become a candle to this world. You could say in some ways, I'm only trying to find a match to light mine.
Everyone's favorite Barry Manilow song.
Everyone who has watched Hellboy: The Golden Army, that is.
Probably the pioneer of this dreadfully short list of absolutely awesome songs. Songs like these are what make me happy. feeling the funny urge to dance or flail my arms and clap and spank and feel free.
Once it became an impromptu routine when I was listening to this song and then my brother heard it too and we started clapping and dancing and jumping and then dad came down and saw us jiving to the song, and did the same. Fun times, fun times.
And of course.
Self-explanatory.
Not really a Valentines day song, no. It sounds more of a song that makes a human whole or a person whose guts have been vacuumed can reach out for and become as jolly as a fat little Swedish boy.
...well, not really, but the rush of a good song always brings the same stretch of emotion.
The song that is as close and as dear to me as the sun is to the horizon.
The personification of that suits it too, I suppose. The horizon that has no distance at all, no visible presence that anyone may hold, and it stretches so far away looking for something it just can't seem to find. Yet the sun comes 'round, shedding light onto the world which this horizon is still very new to.
It's a complex analogy even I have yet to understand. But this song really is the world to me. Everything seems so big and so dark and dangerous yet this song draws that fear out of me and incinerates it. It makes the world feel sizable again.
It's a feeling no other song has or will ever be able to possess.
--
"For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run their fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed. Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself and the other for helping others."
--Audrey Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn is absolutely extraordinary.
There is a humility and a grace about her that is extremely difficult for anyone to grasp, for anyone to hold. And in this elegance, her persona couples with intelligence and inspiration. There is a charm about her that is so rare yet so vital to us who still have yet to live.
It was an excellent idea for Audrey to become a candle to this world. You could say in some ways, I'm only trying to find a match to light mine.