Can we decide not to decide?
It's a struggle.
It becomes a struggle every night before I go to sleep. It's what I think about every time I start a new drawing, or when I watch a new episode of Adventure Time and/or Regular Show,
it's what I wish for every second of my life.
You know--to get to do both.
What do you mean by "both"?
Well.
You must know very well that there are many kinds of artists in the world, right?
And yeah, we may simply just be talking about "visual artists" here,
but even they have tons of categories.
For example, the artists I've always wanted to be: the comic artists/illustrators.
Geniuses like Chris Ware, Moebius, Jim Lee, Eric Powell, Mike Mignola--all those guys who have made my childhood pop out of their pages in dynamic colours and fast-pacing panels, psychedelic storylines, and out-of-this world dimensions.
Then there are the artists who have literally made their work come alive through the brilliance which is TV:
the animators.
My brother and I have always dreamed of making TV shows. I've always wanted to see my characters like Bob the Crocodile or The Parody Boys (and perhaps even the Daring Feed) come to life and be great influences to the next generation of young artists. (Like JG Quintel, Pen Ward, Gary Baseman, and the genius who created Recess.)
And last are the painters.
To do what they have been able to do would take guts and a well-developed fanbase to seriously succeed. James Jean once said than an illustrator is concerned with the process of making a painting--a painter looks for the meaning behind a painting. In fact, my heaviest influences come from the batch of painters: James Jean, Vincent Van Gogh, Esao Andrews, and Sam Weber.
It seriously sucks having to choose between three great loves: comics, animation, and canvas.
I could decide on all three, of course. But sadly,
I've only got two hands and one me.
And one out of the big three may even be a lot for me.
But I know for certain, if it's something I really want and I really love, it's something I can definitely do.
You think?
